November 24, 2008

Life.

It all seemed easy when we were little. Take my nephew, Brayden, for instance. He is 19 months old and starting to talk in sentences. We are beginning to have conversations on the phone, which consist of, "tigger, mimi, ball, jak jak," etc. Those are the things that he thinks about on a daily basis. He has a wonderful mom, and a great nana and pawpaw! He has not a worry at all! (Unless his mommy won't let him have a milkshake, because it's too close to bedtime...)

Do you ever miss that? Do you sometimes feel as though things in life are complicated for no reason?

Sometimes I don't understand things. I don't understand why things have to be complicated. Why can't we all see the world the same way? I don't think I will ever know the answers to those questions.

I will say, however, that I would not go back. I have had many different stages in my life, and went through many different changes, friends, places, etc. I have learned from everything. Every single day I learn something new, and I grow. I strive to keep growing. I never want to be content in the things I do, or the way I live.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.
Menander

My question now is, how can I continue to do that? When I wake up in the morning, I need to start my day with prayer. Even if I wake up late, or if I feel like sleeping in, or I just don't feel like doing it, I need to do it. I need to decide to be the best possible person I can be, each day...one day at a time.

I need to do everything I can to help prospective students of Lee, and their families-every day that I come to work. I need to help calm their nerves when they ask about acceptance, or answer questions about financial aid. Why? Because that is my job. Because God gave me this job, knowing that I would work hard, and love doing it.

What else can I do to continue growing? I need to surround myself with people who will challenge me, be truthful with me, love me, and truly want the best for me. In turn, I will do the same. Even when it hurts, or people don't understand, I will stay true to myself and my friends.

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong.
William Thackeray

Why will I do those things? Because I feel as though it is important to know yourself, and stay true to that. I do not want to be someone who floats back and forth between people, opinions, and decisions. I want to know what I want, and do that. Know what I think, and speak that. Know what I believe, and do that.

Am I saying that I am perfect in this? NO. Does this mean that people will probably get their feelings hurt in the process? Probably. Is that a reason to pretend to think differently? I think not.

I am newly married, recent grad of Lee University, new employee of Lee, and busy doing things that I love. In my spare time, I need to spend my time with people who challenge and inspire me. Spare time is not something I have a lot of, so I need to pay attention to the way I am spending it.

I am a recent lover of relationships. I have always known the importance of them, thanks Andrew D :) but I am really understanding the importance more daily. Life is different. In the past year I have gotten married, graduated from college, and taken on a full time job. That's a LOT! Sometimes it's hard, because it's not the life you lived the past four years. When I have a long day at work, and sometimes wish I could sleep in, or go home and take a nap, or think that being a grown up is overrated, I remember all that I am learning in this transition period of my life.

Relationships are going to keep me going no matter what. Yes I have a husband who I love more than anything in this world, but I also have to keep outside relationships strong. With the essence of time in mind, I need to put time into those that matter. I need to focus on strengthening relationships in which the other side is doing the same.

I feel as though when I write, I babble, or sound as though I don't make sense. And maybe that's so, but I just want to sort my thoughts, challenge myself to be a better person, and maybe someone will get something out of it in the mean time.

I do know one thing. God is going to provide, come through at all costs, and be your best friend, even when you turn your back on Him. In times of confusion, trouble, questioning...He is there. But I'll save that for my next blog.....

No comments: